Monday, February 2, 2009

Theology 101

HG had to catch a flight to California the night of the super bowl, so the kids and I hung out at the house half-heartedly watching the big game and playing. When, out of no where, Naomi climbed up into my lap and said, "Mama, why did God give Goliath the gift of being big and strong? Why did He let Goliath have that gift when Goliath was mean with it?" Let me just stop here and remind everyone that this kind of theological question is coming from a child that is not even 4 1/2 yet! So...if this is what she is asking now, what will she be asking at 10 and 11??? Should I enroll now at the seminary, so I can be prepared to answer the future questions? But...at the same time I am encouraged, because a question like this means she is really pondering the word of God and trying to understand the nature of God.

In case you are wondering.... the answer I gave Naomi was that God loves everyone and gives each one of us special gifts but we choose if we will love God, believe in Him, and use our gifts to obey Him. Some people don't and Goliath was one that didn't choose God. Thankfully, that answer was enough for this 4 year old child. I feel certain though that the questions of free-choice and predestination will be asked at some point along with other questions that I don't know the answer to, but hopefully not for a while.