Back in April we had the opportunity to sign Ethan up for Encore camp. He went last year and loved it and learned all kinds of things. Unfortunately, it was the same week as Vacation Bible School so he missed that. This year it was going to be the same way, so after thinking it over we decided to decline the opportunity at Encore camp, so that he got the experience of VBS. Last week the kids went to VBS at our church and this week they are going to the church where Naomi was enrolled at Mother's Day out. The kids have absolutely LOVED Vacation Bible school!! Our preacher said VBS is revival for the children and I think that is the perfect way to describe it.
We read the Bible to them, pray over them each night, and recently we've started memorizing scripture. We talk about God constantly, especially in the car (they seem to enjoy throwing deep theological stuff at me while I am steering through traffic). So as you might imagine we have discussed many times what happens when you die. Each time they ask me I tell them, "The Bible says, that if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9 And many times they have told me they believe.
But last week during VBS Ethan proudly announced to me, "Mama look at me I've got zero sin - none because I've asked Jesus in my heart!" Then today, out of the blue, he told me he wanted to write Jesus a letter. This is what he wrote:
Dear Jesus,
You are the greatest and I want you to be in my heart. I love you more than anything else. I want to go to heaven with you. Thank you for everything you give us.
Ethan
As a mother this is my greatest joy - to see my child's faith in the one true God developing! Of course we still have some work to do in maturing that faith. Tonight at bedtime Ethan said, "Mama, Jesus is in my top 5. First, there's Star wars, then jumpy places, and third is Jesus!"