the to-do list. So with the hectic pace we've been keeping we decided to take a few days during fall break to get away and enjoy this beautiful time of year and time together as a family without all the distractions, so we decided to go camping. We have always heard wonderful things about a place called Fall Creek Falls that is just 2 hours outside of Nashville. We haven't been camping in forever, until just last year when we went with some friends. I had to post this picture Kevin and Tricia - it's your version of American Gothic!
We had a great time, but without our friends and their fully-loaded camper...we packed up what seemed like half the house and headed out to this highly recommended park - praying that we had everything we would need. I am happy to report we did just fine in our tent and with our primitive cooking over the open fire. But...next time we either need to go camping when it is a tad warmer or I need a major heavy duty sleeping bag because it was cold!!!!
During the day, we hiked, fished, played and explored the campgrounds. It was the perfect time to visit - the trees were absolutely beautiful! Fall Creek Falls was stunning - the picture just doesn't do it justice!
We decided to hike down to the bottom of the falls. We didn't really know how the kids would do, but they were eager and ready.
And since the scenery was so breath-taking and the path was just challenging enough they LOVED it! In fact, we were really surprised that a certain someone (that I will leave anonymous) never once asked to be carried (as she often does) or complained about the long hike.
Of course, it probably helped that we were constantly stopping to take in the view and let HG play with the camera. In fact, if you are thinking that this post has way too many photos let me just tell you that I did my best to whittle it down from the 200+ we took!
I did have to post this one though. She was very adamant that she saw some eyeballs!
And a family picture to prove we made it to the bottom of the falls!
I also have to post this picture. Those of you that really know our boy know that he is always on the go... and even the uphill hike didn't stop him. This was my view of Ethan almost the whole way up. I wouldn't even be able to guess how many times I had to tell him to slow down or wait for us.
We also visited a smaller waterfall on the park grounds where I got this great picture of HG and the kids enjoying the view. I love this picture! They just sat like that for a while enjoying the beauty and their Daddy.
Another place we visited was this VERY long suspension bridge high up over the river.
I have come to realize that I don't like heights and I don't like things that don't feel REALLY secure - like roller coasters and suspension bridges.
But my family apparently does! So... after some prayer I conquered my fears and crossed over on this swaying, unsteady, and high bridge because I will not be called chicken! My pride outweighs my fear.
Along one of our paths we found this amazing rock sticking out of the ground. The kids had a great time coming up with ideas of what it could be...like a giant's foot, a flying carpet, etc..
They had a great time riding this tree trunk or dragon, or whale, or rocket.
We really had a great time on this trip! There were so many amazing things to see that we spent most of the time just standing in awe of our Creator.
"And they were calling to one another:
'Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.'
Isaiah 6:3