Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Life's Tunnels

After picking Ethan up from school today I decided on a whim to stop by the Science Museum. We have a family pass, so we go from time to time and play, explore, and learn from all the many different exhibits.

Today, like many times before, we came to an exhibit about skin and the sense of touch. The exhibit is about 7 feet tall and maybe 10-12 feet long. On the outside it shows what lies beneath our skin and on the inside is a dark tunnel. The kids are suppose to crawl through and use their sense of touch to find different textures attached to the walls of the tunnel. We have come to this tunnel many times, but the kids never go through it. I've explained what it's all about and I've assured them that nothing will hurt them, but they never want anything to do with it.

Well today Naomi announced once again that the tunnel scared her and she did not want to do it. But, Ethan announced that he was going to "be brave and do it!" I reassured him and praised him, but then he kept going to the opening of the tunnel and coming back to tell me he was going to be brave over and over! Each time he announced his bravery with confidence and pride. But it was probably about the 4th or 5th time when he turned back from the opening and with big puppy dog eyes and a soft voice he said, "Mama will you go with me?"
Of course I couldn't say, "no." So we told Naomi we were both going in and then she perked up and said "I want to go with you!" So I went first through this VERY small tunnel pushing my purse in front of me. The kids followed behind me confidently and joyfully announcing with glee each texture they found. When I crawled out of that tunnel (not very gracefully I'm afraid) and watched the kids run back in over and over again I had to laugh. How funny that they were so scared, but all their fears were totally dispelled because they were with their Mama.

Then, clear-as-day God reminded me that it's like that with me. His word tells me He is always with me and His word tells me over and over again not to be afraid. Yet, so many times I come upon those tunnels in life where - just like my kids - I am filled with fear because it's dark and I don't know what I'll find on the inside. But God impressed on me today that when I come to these tunnels in life I need to go boldly in - trusting that my Father is right there with me, leading the way. And maybe I will find, as Ethan and Naomi did today, stuff on the inside that brings me joy.

Lately, it seems like I hear daily about people or from people themselves that are coming up on tunnels. Uncertainty with jobs, health concerns, etc.. I kept getting a tug at my spirit to post this tonight. Maybe I just needed to write it for myself or maybe to remind someone else not to fear - your Father is right there with you!

Isaiah 41:10 says "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Psalm 46:1-3 says "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."