Tuesday, May 26, 2009

One down and twelve more to go!

We made it through kindergarten! Although we had a bit of a rough start, it was overall a very good year. And, after talking to several other parents I have found out that our experience was not that unusual. So, please just remind me of that next year if I'm going through the same kind of thing with Naomi!
On the last day of school Ethan's kdg. teacher invited all the families in for an end-of-the-year brunch. We got a large portfolio of work she had collected throughout the year along with a very cute end of the year journal the kids had each written. Then she gave out candy awards...she gave each child a different kind of candy that's name described something about the child. Ethan's candy was the licorice "Good & Plenty" because she said that Ethan always has plenty of good ideas.

Then his teacher showed a video which she made. It showed a variety of school pictures she had collected from all the parents over the past year set to music along with small video clips mingled in of the kids telling what each one of them wanted to be when they grow up. Almost all the girls wanted to be ballerinas, most of the boys wanted to be lawyers like their dad or police officers. Ethan though, wanted to be a "movie-er" (that's what he said) then... he went into a long spill about how he will be able to see all the Star Wars movies! (Did I mention that his award was the good and PLENTY candy?) I laughed all night about that one! Then.. I worried that the boy is really far too obsessed with Star Wars! But...HG keeps telling me that it's OK and he's getting it out of his system now when he's 5 instead of when he's 25 and really wants to pursue a job as a "movie-er"! I tell myself he's right, the child was crazy about Thomas the train when he was 3 and that too passed.