Sunday, August 16, 2009

The first day of school

All good things must come to an end, so it is with our summer. Although, the kids have been excited about going to school together there has been the normal anxiety over the unknown. But then Ethan and Naomi's school opened for one hour the day before school. All the teachers were standing outside their classes ready to meet the children, but the classroom doors were locked and the children could only sneak-a-peek into their room. It was wonderful for the kids - Ethan's anxiety completely melted away after meeting his teacher! And although Naomi was still a little nervous she was all smiles for the first day!

The kindergarten children have to carry school tote bags, so Ethan was VERY excited about getting to use a back-pack like the big kids. Of course, he choose Star Wars for everything! And Naomi has proudly walked through the house carrying her lunchbox many times before this day.



Ethan's teacher is Ms Hartsock and I have heard that she is very good. He reported at the end of the first day that "she's both funny and nice". He seemed really surprised by that! Naomi's teacher is Ms Strobel, I saw her interact with her kids last year and she seems very soft spoken and super gentle - perfect for Naomi!

We first dropped Ethan off in his class. He was bursting with excitement and didn't seem to care to much about us, but after we said our good-byes and started walking out he jumped up out of his desk, ran over to us, and gave us super tight hugs! OH, how I love that little boy!!!

Naomi, on the other hand, didn't even turn around to see us leave. But...I will tell you that earlier in the summer my sweet little girl asked me, "Mama, when I'm at school who will stay with you?" I told her no one but that I would be ok and then she said, "well maybe I should wait to go to school until I'm 6." Although, I tried to convince her that I would be fine I could tell she was very concerned about it. Then a while later she said "Oh wait! Daddy can stay with you!"