Saturday, February 27, 2010

Kung Fu kiddos

Recently, a friend recommended a Kung Fu school close to our house. HG took a little bit of Karate as a child and he felt like it was something that really helped build his confidence - that he could defend himself if needed. I had also heard that Karate was good for little boys in developing self-control of their ever active bodies (something we are constantly working on around here)!!!
So, we decided to try a couple of weeks and see how the kids liked it. Although, Naomi was hesitant about doing it with a little encouragement she gave it a try. As you could have guessed they both loved it!

Naomi is super intense about it - the teacher has commented to us several times about how focused she is. I am really glad that she is doing Kung Fu because we have seen over the years that our sweet little girl can be so sweet that she doesn't defend herself with playmates. I think Kung Fu has given her a lot of confidence and made her a little more assertive. Although I hope and pray that neither of them will need to defend themselves I feel like they have learned a lot from these classes so that they could defend themselves well if needed. As far as the self-control for that ever active body....well Kung Fu hasn't developed that yet. But...they are having fun and learning a skill that they will have for the rest of their lives.

I tried to get some pics for you of them in their super cute uniforms!! I love this photo of Naomi in the fighting stance with a big yellow bow!!




















I asked them to do some of the kung-fu moves for me, so I could take pictures. This picture cracks me up. Look closely at their faces - they are about to bust out laughing....














...and then they do!!