This year we are on the family rotation, so for Ethan's birthday we started the day off with chocolate chip waffles with sprinkles. Then we went to one of his favorite places - a jumpy place in town where he and Naomi ran and jumped their hearts out.
Since Ethan has really been enjoying Kung-fu we thought it would be a nice treat to go to the movies (something we rarely do) and see The Karate Kid. If you are reading this blog then you know us well enough to know that we are very conservative and that we try to shelter our children. All this said...as we watched The Karate Kid a scene came up in the movie where they used the word "a**" multiple times. Ethan is extremely curious and we have tried to make a habit of stopping when we're reading to define words that are new to them. So....with a loud voice Ethan said, "What's a a** Daddy?" He said it at least twice before HG had recovered enough to try to discreetly and quietly explain it without laughing. Of course, once Ethan found out the definition he repeated it to HG to make sure he was right - still talking loud enough that everyone around us could hear it even though by this point there was a lot of giggling in the theater. Apparently, we are doing a good job of sheltering our child that at 7 years old this is the first time he has heard this word!!
We finished up the day with presents and Ethan's favorite dinner - Pizza washed down with root beer - and of course cake and ice cream. Each year, I make the kids a birthday cake decorated with something they love at the time. I have made a fire truck, a light saber, a princess, a teddy bear, a race track, etc.. This year I made Ethan a space cake and it was by far the hardest one to make - only because Ethan knows more about space than anyone I know and he wanted everything to be exactly right. The planets had to be certain colors, sized just perfectly, and placed in the right orbit! I had to carefully scrape off more than one planet and redo it because something was not quite right according to Mr. NASA! When I got to earth I told him he was going to have pretend that the continents were perfect. But when he saw the final product he loved it and was very appreciative of my efforts.
It's hard to believe that 7 years ago this was my sweet baby boy....

...we are so thankful to have the privilege to see him grow!